Dr. Hsu serves as an Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. His clinical and research interests focus on thoracic and cutaneous malignancies, stereotactic body radiotherapy and HDR brachytherapy.
Dr. Hsu received his Bachelor’s Degree with high honors from Princeton University followed by a Fulbright Fellowship pursuing hepatitis research. Dr. Hsu earned his medical degree and doctorate in epidemiology from the Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health in Baltimore, MD and also completed a post-doctoral fellowship in cancer epidemiology with the World Health Organization in Lyon, France. He completed his internship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York followed by residency at the University of California-San Francisco, where he also served as Chief Resident.
Lung & Skin Cancer
- Hsu CC, Kao WH, Coresh J, Pankow JS, Marsh-Manzi J, Boerwinkle E, Bray MS.Apolipoprotein E and progression of chronic kidney disease. JAMA. 2005 Jun ;293(23):2892-9.
- Brennan P, Hsu CC, Moullan N, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Lissowska J, Zaridze D, Rudnai P, Fabianova E, Mates D, Bencko V, Foretova L, Janout V, Gemignani F, Chabrier A, Hall J, Hung RJ, Boffetta P, Canzian F. Effect of cruciferous vegetables on lung cancer in patients stratified by genetic status: a mendelian randomisation approach. Lancet. 2005 Oct ; 366 (9496): 1558-60.
- Hsu CC, Chow WH, Boffetta P, Moore L, Zaridze D, Moukeria A, Janout V, Kollarova H, Bencko V, Navratilova M, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Mates D, Brennan P. Dietary risk factors for kidney cancer in Eastern and Central Europe. Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Jul 1;166(1):62-70.
- Moore LE, Brennan P, Karami S, Hung RJ, Hsu CC, Boffetta P, Toro J, Zaridze D, Janout V, Bencko V, Navratilova M, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Mates D, Mukeria A, Holcatova I, Welch R, Chanock S, Rothman N, Chow WH. Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms, cruciferous vegetable intake and cancer risk in the Central and Eastern European Kidney Cancer Study. Carcinogenesis. 2007 Sep;28(9):1960-4.
- Sapkota A, Hsu CC, Zaridze D, Shangina O, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Mates D, Fabiánová E, Rudnai P, Janout V, Holcatova I, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Hashibe M. Dietary risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract in central and eastern Europe. Cancer Causes Control. 2008 May 30.
- Herman JM, Swartz MJ, Hsu CC, Winter J, Pawlik TM, Sugar E, Robinson R, Laheru DA, Jaffee E, Hruban RH, Campbell KA, Wolfgang CL, Asrari F, Donehower R, Hidalgo M, Diaz LA Jr, Yeo C, Cameron JL, Schulick RD, Abrams R. Analysis of fluorouracil-based adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation after pancreaticoduodenectomy for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: results of a large, prospectively collected database at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2008 Jul 20;26(21):3503-10.
- Zhou J, Hsu CC, Winter JM, Pawlik TM, Laheru D, Hughes MA, Donehower R, Wolfgang C, Akbar U, Schulick R, Cameron J, Herman JM. Adjuvant chemoradiation versus surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater. Radiother Oncol. 2009 Aug;92(2):244-8.
- Voong KR, Davison J, Pawlik TM, Uy MO, Hsu CC, Winter J, Hruban RH, Laheru D, Rudra S, Swartz MJ, Nathan H, Edil BH, Schulick R, Cameron JL, Wolfgang CL, Herman JM. Resected pancreatic adenosquamous carcinoma: clinicopathologic review and evaluation of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation in 38 patients. Hum Pathol. 2010 Jan;41(1):113-22
- Swartz MJ, Hsu CC, Pawlik TM, Winter J, Hruban RH, Guler M, Schulick RD, Cameron JL, Laheru DA, Wolfgang CL, Herman JM. Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy after pancreatic resection for invasive carcinoma associated with intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Mar 1;76(3):839-44.
- Vaccarella S, Franceschi S, Clifford GM, Touzé A, Hsu CC, de Sanjosé S, Pham TH, Nguyen TH, Matos E, Shin HR, Sukvirach S, Thomas JO, Boursaghin L, Gaitan J, Snijders PJ, Meijer CJ, Muñoz N, Herrero R, Coursaget P; IARC HPV Prevalence Surveys Study Group. Seroprevalence of antibodies against human papillomavirus (HPV) types 16 and 18 in four continents: the International Agency for Research on Cancer HPV Prevalence Surveys. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Sep;19(9):2379-88
- Hsu CC, Herman JM, Corsini MM, Winter JM, Callister MD, Haddock MG, Cameron JL, Pawlik TM, Wolfgang CL, Schulick RD, Laheru DA, Farnell MB, Swartz MJ, Gunderson LL, and Miller RC. Adjuvant Chemoradiation for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: The Johns Hopkins Hospital—Mayo Clinic Collaborative Study. Annals of Surgical Oncol. 2010 Apr;17(4):981-90
- Seo Y, Aparici CM, Chen CP, Hsu CC, Kased N, Schreck C, Costouros N, Hawkins R, Shinohara K, Roach Iii M. Mapping of lymphatic drainage from the prostate using filtered 99mTc-sulfur nanocolloid and SPECT/CT. J Nucl Med. 2011Jul;52(7):1068-72.
- Horowitz DP, Hsu CC, Wang J, Makary MA, Winter JM, Robinson R, Schulick RD, Cameron JL, Pawlik TM, Herman JM. Adjuvant chemoradiation therapy after pancreaticoduodenectomy in elderly patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Aug 1;80(5):1391-7
- Narang AK, Miller RC, Hsu CC, Bhatia S, Pawlik TM, Laheru D, Hruban RH, Zhou J, Winter JM, Haddock MG, Donohue JH, Schulick RD, Wolfgang CL, Cameron JL, Herman JM. Evaluation of adjuvant chemoradiation therapy for ampullary adenocarcinoma: the Johns Hopkins Hospital - Mayo Clinic collaborative study. Radiat Oncol. 2011 Sep 28;6:126.
- Créhange G, Chen CP, Hsu CC, Kased N, Coakley FV, Kurhanewicz J, Roach M 3rd. Management of prostate cancer patients with lymph node involvement: A rapidly evolving paradigm. Cancer Treat Rev. 2012 Jun 13.
- Hsu CC, Wolfgang CL, Laheru DA, Pawlik TM, Swartz MJ, Winter JM, Robinson R, Edil BH, Narang AK, Choti MA, Hruban RH, Cameron JL, Schulick RD, Herman JM.. Early mortality risk score: identification of poor outcomes following upfront surgery for resectable pancreatic cancer. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Apr;16(4):753-61.
- Hsu CC, Hsu H, Pickett B, Crehange G, Hsu IC, Dea R, Weinberg V, Gottschalk AR, Kurhanewicz J, Shinohara K, Roach M 3rd. Feasibility of MR Imaging/MR Spectroscopy-Planned Focal Partial Salvage Permanent Prostate Implant (PPI) for Localized Recurrence After Initial PPI for Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Feb: 85(2):370-7.
- Crehange G, Izaguirre A, Weinberg V, Hsu CC, Gottschalk AR, Hsu IC, Shinohara K, Carroll P, Roach M 3rd. Long-term Outcomes Following Radiation Therapy For Prostate Cancer Patients With Lymph Node Metastases at Diagnosis Treated With and Without Surgery. Am J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jan 16
- Fan KY, Dholakia AS, Wild AT, Su Z, Hacker-Prietz A, Kumar R, Hodgin M, Hsu CC, Le DT, De Jesus-Acosta A, Diaz LA Jr, Laheru DA, Hruban RH, Fishman EK, Brown TD, Pawlik TM, Wolfgang CL, Tran PT, Herman JM. Baseline hemoglobin-A1c impacts clinical outcomes in patients with pancreatic cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2014 Jan;12(1):50-7.
- Hsu CC,Paciorek AT, Cooperberg MR, Roach M 3rd, Hsu IC, Carroll PR. Post-operative Radiation Therapy for Patients at High-risk of Recurrence after Radical Prostatectomy: Does Timing Matter? BJU Int. In press.
Phi Beta Kappa, 1997
Fulbright Fellowship, 1997
Medical Scientist Training Program Grant, 1998
Robert Dyar Memorial Award for Epidemiology and Medicine, 2002
Hoobler Award for Excellence in Public Health and Medicine, 2002
National Kidney Foundation of Maryland Mini-Grant, 2003
American Diabetes Association Medical Scholars Award, 2003
World Health Organization IARC Training Fellowship, 2004
American Society of Preventive Oncology New Investigator Travel Grant, 2005
Sino-American Network for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Resident/Junior Investigator Award, 2008
Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urologic Research Endeavor Scholar, 2010
UCSF Resident Research Travel Award, 2011
UCSF Chief Resident, 2012
American Brachytherapy Society HDR Brachytherapy Fellowship, 2013
Dr. Hsu is board certified in radiation oncology by the American Board of Radiology