Dr.Calhoun has the expertise, leadership, training, and motivation necessary to successfully support the mission and goals of the University of Arizona Cancer Center. Currently she is the Associate Vice President of Population Health Sciences and Executive Director of Center of Population Science & Discovery at the University of Arizona Health Sciences. In addition, she is a Professor in the Division of Public Health Policy and Management at the University of Arizona and the School of Medicine, Department of Surgery.
Dr.Calhoun was the Director of the Center of Excellence in Eliminating Disparities (CEED) funded by NIMHD and principal investigator (PI) of the Training Care for this center. In addition, she was also the Co-Director for UIC Center for Population Health and Health Disparities funded by NCI and the PI of an NCI-funded study to test the efficacy of a patient navigation program on improving compliance with cancer care in the largest network of federally qualified health centers in the country.
Dr. Calhoun is a leader of the National Patient Navigator Consortium, advocating for patient navigators integration into the health system. She was a member of the Commission on Cancer standards committee that requires community assessment and patient navigation services for accreditation. Dr. Calhoun’s extensive background in administering center grants, participating in collaborative research endeavors, and history of grant funding, demonstrate her expertise to serve as Associate Director of Cancer Population Sciences.
- Molina Y, Kim S, Berrios N, Calhoun EA. Medical mistrust and patient satisfaction with mammography: the mediating effects of perceived self-efficacy among navigated African American women Health Expect. 2014 Oct 10. [Epub ahead of print] [See abstract.]
- Hedlund N, Risendal BC, Pauls H, Valverde PA, Whitley E, Esparza A, Stiehl E, Calhoun E. Dissemination of patient navigation programs across the United States. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2014 Jul-Aug;20(4):E15-24.
- Osiecki KM, Kim S,Chukwudozie IB, Calhoun EA. Utilizing Exploratory Spatial Data Analysis to Examine Health and Environmental Disparities in Disadvantaged Neighborhoods. Environ Justice. 2013 June 14;6(3):81-87.
- Tejeda S, Darnell JS, Cho YI, Stolley MR, Markossian TW, Calhoun EA. Patient barriers to follow-up care for breast and cervical cancer abnormalities.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013 Jun;22(6):507-17. Epub 2013 May 14. [See abstract.]
- Markossian TW, Darnell JS, Calhoun EA. Follow-up and timeliness after an abnormal cancer screening among underserved, urban women in a patient navigation program. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Oct;21(10):1691-700. [See abstract.]
- Esparza A, Calhoun E. Measuring the impact and potential of patient navigation: proposed common metrics and beyond. Cancer. 2011 Aug;117(15 Suppl):3537-3538.
- Markossian TW, Calhoun EA. Are breast cancer navigation programs cost-effective? Evidence from the Chicago Cancer Navigation Project. Health Policy. 2011 Jan;99(1):52-9. Epub 2010 Aug 4. [See abstract.]
- Clemens JQ, Calhoun EA, Litwin MS, Walker-Corkery E, Markossian T, Kusek JW, McNaughton-Collins M. A survey of primary care physician practices in the diagnosis and management of women with interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. Urol J. 2010 Aug 76(2):323-8
- Rauscher GH, Ferrans CE, Kaiser K, Campbell R, Calhoun EA, Warnecke RB. Misconceptions about breast lumps and delayed medical presentation in urban breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Mar 19(3):640-7.
- Calhoun EA, Whitley EM, Esparza A, Ness E, Greene A, Garcia R, et al. A national patient navigator training program. Health Promot Pract. 2010;11(2):205-15.
- Parker VA, Clark JA, Leyson J, Calhoun E, Carroll JK, Freund KM, Battaglia TA. Patient navigation: Development of a protocol for describing what navigators do. Health Serv Res. 2010 Apr;45(2):514-531. [See abstract.]
- Wallner LP, Porten S, Meenan R, O’Keefe Rosetti MC, Calhoun EA, Sarma AV, Clemens JQ. Prevalence and severity of undiagnosed urinary incontinence in women.. Am J Med. 2009 Nov;122(11):1037-42
- Bennett CL, Calhoun EA. Evaluating the total costs of chemotherapy-induced febrile Calhoun EA, Clemens JQ, Litwin MS, Walker-Corkery E, Markossian T, Kusek JW, et al. Primary care physician practices in the diagnosis, treatment and management of men with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2009;12(3):288-95.
- Clemens JQ, Calhoun EA, Litwin MS, McNaughton-Collins M, Dunn RL, Crowley EM, et al. Rescoring the NIH chronic prostatitis symptom index: nothing new. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2009;12(3):285-7.
- Clemens JQ, Calhoun EA, Litwin MS, Walker-Corkery E, Markossian T, Kusek JW, McNaughton-Collins M. Primary care physician practices in the diagnosis and management of women with interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome for the Urologic Pelvic Pain Collaborative Research Network. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis.. 2000;12(3):288-95
- Clemens JQ, Brown SO, Calhoun EA. Mental health diagnoses in patients with interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome: a case/control study. Urol J. 2008;180(4): 1378-1382.
- neutropenia: results from a pilot study with community oncology cancer patients. Oncologist. 2007 Apr;12(4):478-83.
- Darnell JS, Chang CH, Calhoun EA. Knowledge about breast cancer and participation in a faith-based breast cancer program and other predictors of mammography screening among African American women and Latinas. Health Promot Pract. 2006 Jul;7(3 Suppl):201S-12S.
- Wolf MS, Satterlee M, Calhoun EA, Skripkauskas S, Fulwiler D, Diamond-Shapiro L, et al. Colorectal cancer screening among the medically underserved. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2006 Feb;17(1):47-54.