Dr. Jacobs is a cancer and nutritional epidemiologist and Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and Nutritional Sciences at the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public health and the University of Arizona Cancer Center, and has extensive experience in analysis of genetic and environmental risk factors for colorectal cancer. She was both a pre- and post-doctoral fellow on the NCI R25 Cancer Prevention and Control training grant at the University of Arizona Cancer Center, and received further post-doctoral training in cancer prevention and control through a K07 grant from the National Cancer Institute, completed in 2010.
Along with Dr. Peter Jurutka, Dr. Jacobs is currently a co-Principal Investigator on an R01 designed to investigate the role of vitamin D in colorectal neoplasia using a translational science approach, and was Principal Investigator on an R01 ending in 2012 that focused on evaluating whether circulating vitamin D biomarkers were associated with recurrence of breast cancer in the Women’s healthy Eating and Living (WHEL) study. She was also the co-Principal Investigator of the R25 Cancer Prevention and Control Training Grant at the University of Arizona Cancer Center.
Dr. Jacobs' record of NIH funding as well as experience with reviewing grants at the local, national, and international level provides the knowledge and skills necessary to serve on the Scientific Review Committee.
- Hibler EA, Klimentidis Y, Jurutka PW, Kohler LN, Lance P, Jacobs ET. CYP24A1 and CYP27B1 polymorphisms, concentrations of vitamin D metabolites, and risk of colorectal adenoma recurrence, Nutr Cancer 2015 Aug 4:1-11. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 26241700. PMC journal; PMCID in progress.
- Dampf-Stone A, Batie S, Sabir M, Jacobs ET, Lee J, Whitfield GK, Haussler MR, Jurutka PW. Resveratrol potentiates vitamin D and nuclear receptor signaling. J Cell Biochem, 2015 Apr 11; 116: 1130-1143. PMID: In progress. PMC Journal, PMCID in progress.
- Bea JW, Jurutka PW, Hibler EA, Lance P, Martinez ME, Roe DJ, Molmenti Sardo CL, Thompson PA, Jacobs ET. Vitamin D metabolites and odds for metabolic syndrome, Metabolism Metabolism. 2015 Mar;64(3):447-59. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2014.11.010. PMID:25496802; PMC Journal, PMCID in progress.
- Sardo CL, Hibler EA, Roe DL, Harris RB, Thomson CA, Cisneroz M, Thompson PA, Martinez ME, Jacobs ET. Sedentary behavior is associated with colorectal adenoma recurrence. Cancer Causes Control, 2014 Oct;25(10):1387-95. PMID: 25060482; PMC Journal, PMCID in progress.
- Hibler EA, Sardo Molmenti CL, Lance P, Jurutka PW, Jacobs ET. Associations between circulating 1,25(OH)2D concentration and odds of metachronous colorectal adenoma. Cancer Causes Control, 2014 Jul;25(7):809-17. PMID:24737199; PMC Journal, PMCID in progress.
- Hibler EA, Jacobs ET, Dampf Stone A, Sardo CL, Jurutka PW. Associations between vitamin D binding protein isotypes, circulating 25(OH)D levels, and vitamin D metabolite uptake in colon cancer cells, Cancer Prevention Research, 2014 Apr;7(4):426-34. PMID: 24472850; PMC Journal, PMCID in progress.
- Jacobs ET, Hibler EA, Lance P, Sardo CL, Jurutka PW. Association between circulating concentrations of 25(OH)D and colorectal adenoma. Int J Cancer, 2013 Dec 15;133(12):2980-8. PMID: 23754630. PMC Journal; PMCID in progress.
- Yousef, F, Jacobs ET, Kang PT, Hakim IA, Going S, Yousef JM, Al-Raddadi RM, Kumosani TA, Thomson CA. Vitamin D status and breast cancer in Saudi Arabian women: a case control study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Jul;98(1):105-10. PMID:23697705. PMCID: PMC3987815.
- Martínez ME, Pond E, Wertheim BC, Nodora JN, Jacobs ET, Bondy M, Daneri-Navarro A, Meza-Montenegro MM, Gutierrez-Millan LE, Brewster A, Komenaka IK, Thompson P. Association Between Parity and Obesity in Mexican and Mexican-American Women: Findings from the Ella Binational Breast Cancer Study. J Immigr Minor Health. 2013 Apr;15(2):234-4. PMID:22618357. PMCID:PMC3469728.
- Jacobs ET*, Van Pelt C*, Forster R, Zaidi W, Hibler EA, Galligan MA, Haussler MR, Jurutka PW. Characterization of CYP24A1 and CYP27B1 polymorphic variants reveals modulation of enzymatic activity and differential regulation of vitamin D metabolism in human colon cancer cells. Cancer Research, Apr 15;73(8):2563-73. PMID:23423976. PMCID: PMC3630267.
* Shared first authorship
2003-2010 Assistant Professor, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona
2001-2003 NCI R25T Post-Doctoral Fellow in Cancer Prevention and Control, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona
1999-2001 NCI R25T Pre-Doctoral Fellow in Cancer Prevention and Control, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona
1997-1999 Study Manager, Watchful Waiting with Selenium and Negative Biopsy Trial Projects, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona
1996-1997 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Nutrition Science, University of Arizona
1993-1996 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Nutrition Science, Purdue University
1993-1996 Graduate Research Assistant, Nutrition Science, Purdue University
2009 Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health Excellence in Research Award
2006 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Young Investigator Award, Contemporary Diagnosis and Treatment of Vitamin D-Related Disorders Meeting