Dr. Ahmann currently serves as Professor of Medicine and Surgery, and holds the John Norton Endowed Chair for Prostate Cancer Research at the University of Arizona. Additionally, he also serves as Director of the Hematology/ Oncology Fellowship Program, and CoDirector of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Program. His clinical practice focuses on treatment of advanced and hormone resistant prostate cancer, in addition to bladder cancer and testicular cancer which are his areas of clinical interest. He is an active medical and cancer researcher. He has been recognized as one of the Best Doctors in America for prostate and genitourinary malignancies.
Dr. Ahmann is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, subspecialty of Medical Oncology, and the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Dr. Ahmann has also been dedicated to research in prostate cancer for the past 30 years, having served as Principal Investigator and co-Principal Investigator on many NIH/NCI funded projects. Recently concluded projects include Phase 2 and Phase 3 randomized controlled trials to investigate the role of selenium on initiation ad nprogression of prostate cancer. Currently his focus is towards mentoring young investigators to develop their research skills. They have strong research infrastructure at the University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC). Dr. Ahmann has a long standing relationship with the shared resources at the UACC.
- Algotar AM, Stratton MS, Ahmann FR, Ranger-Moore J, Nagle RB, Thompson PA, Slate E, Hsu CH, Dalkin BL, Sindhwani P, Holmes MA, Tuckey JA, Graham DL, Parnes HL, Clark LC, Stratton SP. Phase 3 clinical trial investigating the effect of selenium supplementation in men at high-risk for prostate cancer. Prostate. 2013 Feb 15;73(3):328-35. doi: 10.1002/pros.22573. Epub 2012 Aug 10. PubMed PMID: 22887343; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4086804.
- Nguyen MM, Ahmann FR, Nagle RB, Hsu CH, Tangrea JA, Parnes HL, Sokoloff MH, Gretzer MB, Chow HH. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of polyphenon E in prostate cancer patients before prostatectomy: evaluation of potential chemopreventive activities. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012 Feb;5(2):290-8. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0306. Epub 2011 Nov 1. PubMed PMID: 22044694; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3273617.
- Stratton MS, Algotar AM, Ranger-Moore J, Stratton SP, Slate EH, Hsu CH, Thompson PA, Clark LC, Ahmann FR. Oral selenium supplementation has no effect on prostate-specific antigen velocity in men undergoing active surveillance for localized prostate cancer. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2010 Aug;3(8):1035-43. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-09-0143. Epub 2010 Jul 20. PubMed PMID: 20647337; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4533875.
- Algotar AM, Thompson PA, Ranger-Moore J, Stratton MS, Hsu CH, Ahmann FR, Nagle RB, Stratton SP. Effect of aspirin, other NSAIDs, and statins on PSA and PSA velocity. Prostate. 2010 Jun 1;70(8):883-8. doi: 10.1002/pros.21122. PubMed PMID: 20135645; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4527537.
- Algotar AM, Thompson PA, Ranger-Moore J, Stratton MS, Hsu CH, Ahmann FR, Nagle RB, Stratton SP. Differences in characteristics of men with localised prostate cancer who demonstrate low, intermediate or high prostate-specific antigen velocity. Intern Med J. 2012 Apr;42(4):374-80. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-5994.2011.02473.x. PubMed PMID: 21395960; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4527543.
- Algotar AM, Stratton SP, Ranger-Moore J, Stratton MS, Hsu CH, Ahmann FR, Nagle RB, Thompson PA. Association of obesity and smoking with PSA and PSA velocity in men with prostate cancer. Am J Mens Health. 2011 May;5(3):272-8. doi: 10.1177/1557988310390030. PubMed PMID: 21613377; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4527598.
- Chen Z, Maricic M, Nguyen P, Ahmann FR, Bruhn R, Dalkin BL. Low bone density and high percentage of body fat among men who were treated with androgen deprivation therapy for prostate carcinoma. Cancer. 2002 Nov 15;95(10):2136-44. PubMed PMID: 12412167.
1994-1999 Associate Professor of Surgery, Univ. of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ.
1987-1999 Associate Professor of Medicine, Univ. of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ.
1987-1995 Chief, Section of Hematology/Oncology, Tucson VA Medical Center, Tucson, AZ.
1981-1997 Staff Physician, Section of Hematology/Oncology, Tucson VA Medical Center, Tucson,
1981-1987 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Univ. of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ.
2008 First Recipient of John & Doris Norton Chair for Prostate Cancer Research, University of Arizona
2002-2010 "Best Physicians in Arizona"
2002 "Teaching Appreciation Award", Urology Section Residency. University of Arizona
1999 "Excellence in Teaching Award" Hematology/Oncology Fellowship program
1995 "Patient's Choice Award", University Medical Center, Tucson, Arizona
1994-2010 "Best Physicians in America" for Prostate and Genito-Urinary Malignancies
1993 "Patient's Choice Award", University medical Center, Tucson, Arizona
1993 "Clinician of the Year Award", Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
1992 "Best Physicians in the United States"
1989 Tucson VA Medical Director's commendation
1989 Hands and Heart Award", Department of Veterans Affairs