Internal Contact Information
Dr. Woo received his PhD from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, and his undergraduate degree from the Korea University, Seoul, Korea. He did postdoctoral work at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York.
His research goal is to understand the molecular mechanisms for the formation of the RNA structurome. He is interested particularly in how RNA-Protein interactions determine the RNA spatial structure which are involved in the translational regulation as well as mRNA decay.
In translational reseach, he is interested in the molecular basis of the metastasis in the epithelial ovarian and breast cancers. The abnormal expression of proto-oncogenes c-fms and CSF-1 is an important prognostic factor. CSF-1 encodes the colony stimulating factor-1 (CSF-1) and c-fms encodes the receptor tyrosine kinase (CSF-1R), a sole receptor to the CSF-1. His research focuses on the post-transcriptional and translational regulation of c-fms and CSF-1 by means of the RNA-Protein interactions and small ncRNAs.
- Autocrine inhibition of the c-fms proto-oncogene reduces breast cancer metastasis assessed with in vivo dual-modality. Experimental Biology and Medicine. 239: 404-413.
- Nucleolin mediates microRNA-directed CSF-1 mRNA deadenylation, but increases translation of CSF-1 mRNA. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics. 12: 1661-1677. (Cover article)
- Post-transcriptional regulation of proto-oncogene c-fms by RNA binding proteins in breast cancer. Oncogene and Cancer. Chapter 13. pp295-316.
- Regulation of colony stimulating factor-1 expression and ovarian cancer cell behavior in vitro by miR-128 and miR-152. Molecular Cancer. 11:58 doi:10.1186/1476-4598-11-58.
- Post-transcriptional suppression of proto-oncogene c-fms expression by vigilin in breast cancer. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 31: 215-225.
- Inhibition of the c-fms proto-oncogene autocrine loop and tumor phenotype in glucocorticoid stimulated human breast carcinoma cells. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 129: 411-419.
- Regulation of non-AU-rich element containing c-fms proto-oncogene expression by HuR in breast cancer. Oncogene. 28: 1176-1186.
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
American Society for Microbiology
AIMS Molecular Science
European Journal of Molecular Biology
Archives of Biomedical Sciences
VRI Cell Signaling
VRI Biological Medicinal Chemistry