James Cunningham’s research interests include social epidemiologic methods, program and policy evaluation, health disparity determinants, and health services workforce quality. He introduced and helped develop the field of study that examines how essential/precursor chemical controls impact illicit drug production, use and morbidity. He is working to foster more population-based health research among indigenous peoples. And he is developing new measures/instruments to better assess the skill levels and identify the training needs of public health professionals.
- Cunningham J. K., Solomon T. A., Muramoto M. L. (2016) Alcohol Use among Native Americans Compared to Whites: Examining the Veracity of the ‘Native American Elevated Alcohol Consumption’ Belief. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 160: 65-75.
- Cunningham J. K., Liu L-M., Callaghan R.C. (2016) Essential/precursor chemicals and drug consumption: Impacts of US sodium permanganate and Mexico pseudoephedrine controls on the numbers of US cocaine and methamphetamine users. Addiction 111: 1999-2009.
- Cunningham J. K., Callaghan R. C., Liu L-M. (2015) US federal cocaine essential ('precursor') chemical regulation impacts on US cocaine availability: an intervention time-series analysis with temporal replication. Addiction 110: 805-820.
- Callaghan R. C., Sanches M., Gatley J. M., Liu L.-M., Cunningham J. K. (2014) Hazardous birthday drinking among young people: population-based impacts on emergency department and in-patient hospital admissions. Addiction. 109: 1667-1675.
- Cunningham J. K., Liu L.-M., Callaghan R. (2013) Essential (“precursor”) chemical control for heroin: impact of acetic anhydride regulation on US heroin availability. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 133: 520-528.
- Cunningham J. K., Maxwell J. C., Campollo O., Liu L.-M., Lattyak W. J., Callaghan R. C. (2013) Mexico’s precursor chemical controls: emergence of less potent types of methamphetamine in the United States. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 129: 125-136.
- Cunningham J. K., Callaghan R. C., Tong D., Liu L.-M., Li H.-Y., Lattyak W. J. (2012) Changing over-the-counter ephedrine and pseudoephedrine products to prescription only: impacts on methamphetamine clandestine laboratory seizures. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 126: 55-64.
- Callaghan R. C., Cunningham J. K., Allebeck P., Arenovich T., Sajeev G., Remington G., Boileau I., Kish S. J. (2012) Methamphetamine use and schizophrenia: a population-based cohort study in California. American Journal of Psychiatry. 169: 389-396.
- Campollo O., Roman S., Panduro A., Hernandez G., Diaz-Barriga L., Balanzario M. C., Cunningham J. K. (2012) Non-injection drug use and hepatitis C among drug treatment clients in west central Mexico. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 123: 269-272.
- Cunningham J. K., Maxwell J. C., Campollo O., Cunningham K. I., Liu L.-M., Lin H.-L. (2010) Proximity to the US-Mexico border: a key to explaining geographic variation in US methamphetamine, heroin, and cocaine purity. Addiction. 105: 1785-1798.
- Cunningham J. K., Bojorquez I., Campollo O., Liu L.-M., Maxwell J. C. (2010) Mexico’s methamphetamine precursor chemical interventions: impacts on drug treatment admissions. Addiction. 105: 1973-1983.
- Cunningham J. K., Liu L.-M., Callaghan R. (2009) Impact of US and Canadian precursor regulation on methamphetamine purity in the United States. Addiction. 104: 441-453.
- Cunningham J. K., Liu L.-M. (2008) Impact of methamphetamine precursor chemical legislation, a suppression policy, on the demand for drug treatment. Social Science & Medicine. 66: 1463-1473.
- Cunningham J. K., Liu L.-M. (2005) Impacts of federal precursor regulations on methamphetamine arrests. Addiction. 100: 479-488.
- Cunningham J. K., Liu L.-M. (2003) Impacts of federal ephedrine and pseudoephedrine regulations on methamphetamine-related hospital admissions. Addiction. 98: 1229-1237.
Canada-Mexico Joint Award in North American Studies
Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program
Harry F. Scoville Practitioner Research Award
Western Governmental Research Association
Achievements in Alcohol and Drug Research
California Association of Alcohol and Drug Administration
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- American Psychological Association
- American Public Health Association