Dr. Woolfenden has over 40 years of experience in clinical nuclear medicine, including service as Chief of Nuclear Medicine at the University of Arizona and Medical Director of Southwest PET/CT Institute. He has been an investigator on NIH-funded research projects involving both preclinical and clinical applications of radionuclide imaging and instrumentation development since 1976. His current work as Associate Director for Biomedical Applications in the Center for Gamma-Ray Imaging (CGRI, an NIH-funded Research Resource) facilitates collaborative and service research projects involving CGRI and the University of Arizona Cancer Center, with the overall objective of making the technology being developed in CGRI available for preclinical and ultimately clinical applications in the Cancer Center.
- Woolfenden JM, Waxman AD, Wolfstein RS, Siemsen JK. Scintigraphic evaluation of liver metastases from thyroid carcinoma. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 1975;16:669-671. PMID: 115489
- Woolfenden JM, Waxman AD, DiSaia PJ, Siemsen JK. Evaluation of carcinoma of the cervix using In-111-bleomycin. Obstetrics and Gynecology 1975;46:347-352. PMID: 51490
- Schechter JP, Jones SE, Woolfenden JM, Lilien DL, O'Mara RE. Bone scanning in lymphoma. Cancer 1976;38:1142-1148. PMID: 953962
- Alberts DS, Woolfenden JM, Haber K, Giles HR, Galindo J. Comparison of ultrasonic and indium-bleomycin scanning of gynecologic tumors. Gynecologic Oncology 1978;6:145-151. PMID: 77243
- Hammond N, Jones SE, Salmon SE, Patton D, Woolfenden J. Predictive value of bone scans in an adjuvant breast cancer program. Cancer 1978;41:138-142. PMID: 626924
- Woolfenden JM, Alberts DS, Hall JN, Patton DD. Cobalt-57 bleomycin for imaging head and neck tumors. Cancer 1979;45:1652-1657. PMID: 87253
- Alberts DS, Chen HG, Woolfenden JM, Moon TE, Chang SY, Hall JN, Himmelstein KH, Gross J, Salmon SE. Pharmacokinetics of bleomycin in man. III. Bleomycin 57Co vs bleomycin. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacology 1979;3:33-40. PMID: 93987
- Woolfenden JM, Pitt MJ, Durie BGM, Moon TE. Comparison of bone scintigraphy and radiography in multiple myeloma. Radiology 1980;134:723-728. PMID: 7355226
- Woolfenden JM, Hall JN, Barber HB, Wacks MG. Samarium-153 citrate for tumor and abscess localization. International Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Biology 10(4):251-256, 1983. PMID: 6582054
- Woolfenden JM, Nevin WS, Barber HB, Donahue DJ. Lung cancer detection using a miniature sodium iodide detector and cobalt-57 bleomycin. Chest 1984;85:84-88. PMID: 6197253
- Barber HB, Barrett HH, Woolfenden JM, Meyers KJ, Hickernell TS. Comparison of in vivo scintillation probes and gamma cameras for detection of small, deep tumors. Phys Med Biol 34(6):727-739, 1989. PMID: 2740440
- Woolfenden JM, Barber HB. Radiation detector probes for tumor localization using tumor-seeking radioactive tracers. Am J Roentgenol 153(1):35-39, 1989. PMID: 2660536.
- Liu Z, Stevenson GD, Barrett HH, Kastis GA, Bettan M, Furenlid LR, Wilson DW, Woolfenden JM. Imaging recognition of multidrug resistance using 99mTc-labeled monocationic agents and a high-resolution stationary SPECT system. Nucl Med Biol 31(1):53-65, 2004. PMCID: PMC3062994
- Liu Z, Stevenson GD, Barrett HH, Furenlid LR, Wilson DW, Kastis GA, Bettan M, Woolfenden JM. Imaging recognition of multidrug resistance in human breast cancer xenografts using 99mTc-labeled sestamibi and tetrofosmin. Nucl Med Biol 32(6):573-583, 2005. PMCID: PMC1402231
- wyffels L, Gray BD, Barber C, Moore SK, Woolfenden JM, Pak KY, Liu Z. Synthesis and preliminary evaluation of radiolabeled bis(zinc(II)-dipicolylamine) coordination complexes as cell death imaging agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 19(11):3425-3433, 2011. PMC3102142
- Barrett HH, Alberts DS, Woolfenden JM, Liu Z, Clarkson E, Kupinski MA, Furenlid LR, Hoppin JW. Quantifying and reducing uncertainties in cancer therapy. Proceedings of SPIE 2015;9412 94120N-4.
1997-2008 Listed in Best Doctors in America
1997 Elected to Life Membership, American Board of Nuclear Medicine
1996-present Listed in Marquis’s Who’s Who in America
1981 Elected to Fellowship, American College of Nuclear Physicians
1964 Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
1964 Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, Stanford University