Associate Professor of Biomedical Informatics, Arizona State University
Dr. Liang joined the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Arizona State University in December 2008, after several years at Siemens, where he was engaged in research and development activities in the domain of computer aided diagnosis in medical imaging, particularly, automatic detection of lung cancer, colon cancer and pulmonary embolism from CT images. Dr. Liang has published 40 peer-reviewed publications, filed over 20 US patent applications and mentored 9 students at Siemens. His primary research interest is in medical image processing and analysis, pattern recognition and machine learning. His objective at ASU is to create a leading research program in biomedical imaging informatics, and he would like to expand his research into cancer imaging.
Dr. Liang fervently believes that one of the greatest challenges in our time is to find cures for cancer. Imaging is not only important for early detection of cancer, but also critical for understanding the cancer, staging the cancer and determining the precise locations of the cancer to effectively guide surgery and treatment. He believes that he can make the greatest contributions of his career in cancer imaging through his knowledge and expertise in computer aided diagnosis, image processing and analysis, pattern recognition and machine learning, etc.
Refereed Journal Publications
1. Xiaotao Zou, Jianming Liang, Matthias Wolf, Marcos Salganicoff, Arun Krishnan and David Naidich. Anatomy-based automatic detection and segmentation of major vessels in thoracic CTA images. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Volume 2, Supplement 1, June 2007, S68–S70
(Best Paper, selected to be published in Academic Radiology, 2009)
2. M. Gas, et. al. Computer-aided detection of pulmonary embolism: Influence on radiologists’ detection performance with respect to vessel segments. European Radiology, Volume 18, Issue 7, July 2008, 1350–1355.
3. Jianming Liang, Tim McInerney, and Demetri Terzopoulos. United snakes. Medical Image Analysis, 10(2), April 2006, 215-233.
4. Jianming Liang, Timo J¨arvi, Aaro Kiuru, Martti Kormano, and Erkki Svedstr¨om. Dynamic chest image analysis: Model-based perfusion analysis in dynamic pulmonary imaging. EURASIP3 Journal on Applied Signal Processing, 2003(5):437–448, 2003 (Special Issue on Advances in Modality-Oriented Medical
5. L. Bogoni, P. Cathier, M. Dundar, A. Jerebko, S. Lakare, J. Liang, S. Periaswamy, M. E. Baker and M. Macari. CAD for CT colonography: A tool to address a growing need. British Journal of Radiology, 2005(78):S57-S62, 2005 (Special Issue on Computer-Aided Diagnosis).
6. S. Buhmann, P. Herzog, J. Liang, M. Wolf, M. Salganicoff, C. Kirchhoff, M. Reiser, C. Becker. Clinical evaluation of a computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) prototype for the detection of pulmonary embolism. Academic Radiology, Volume 14, Issue 6, June 2007, 651-658.
7. Terran Lane, Bharat Rao, Jinbo Bi, Jianming Liang, and Marcos Salganicoff. On the medical frontier: The 2006 KDD cup competition and results. ACM SIGKDD Explorations, Volume 8, Issue 2, December 2006, 39–46.
8. J. M Liang, J. Q. Liang, and Q. L. Ren. A framework for generic object recognition with Bayesian networks. International Journal of Computer and Applications, 27(3):123–138, 2005
9. J. Liang. The design and implementation of a dynamic storage structure for RDBMS. Computer Engineering and Applications, 1:33–38, 1989 (Based on my Bachelor’s thesis).
10. J. Liang, F. Liu, and Q. Ren. Prototyping software development method. Computer Applications, 3:22–26,1990.
11. J. Liang. On machine learning. Computer Applications, 4:41–47, 1988. B.
Refereed Conference Publications
1. Le Lu, Matthias Wolf, Jianming Liang, Murat Dundar, Jinbo Bi, Marcos Salganico. A Two-Level Approach Towards Semantic Colon Segmentation: Removing Extra-colonic Findings. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2009), September 20–24, 2009, London, UK (to appear).
2. H. Rivaz, Y. Shinagawa, and J. Liang. Physical Priors in Virtual Colonoscopy, SPIE Medical Imaging 2009, Feb 7–12, 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA.
3. Le Lu, Adrian Barbu, MatthiasWolf, Jianming Liang, Marcos Salganicoff, Dorin Comaniciu. Incremental parametric learning for simultaneous detection and registration. The 10th European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV 2008), October 12-18, 2008, Marseille, France.
4. Jianming Liang and Jinbo Bi. Computer Aided Detection of Pulmonary Embolism with Local Characteristic Features in CT Angiography. In proceedings of MICCAI workshop on plumonary image analysis, September 6 – 10, 2008, New York City, NY, USA.
5. Le Lu, Adrian Barbu, Matthias Wolf, Jianming Liang, Marcos Salganicoff, Dorin Comaniciu. Accurate Polyp Segmentation for 3D CT Colongraphy Using Multi-Staged Probabilistic Binary Learning and Compositional Model. IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’08), Anchorage, Alaska, June 23-28, 2008.
6. L. Lu, A. Barbu, M. Wolf, J. Liang, S. Lakare, M. Salganicoff, D. Comaniciu, and A. Krishnan. A Supervised Learning Approach for Fast and Accurate Polyp Segmentation/Measurement in 3D CT Colonography. In Proceedings of the MICCAI 2008 Workshop on Computational and Visualization Challenges in the new era of Virtual Colonoscopy, Edited by Hiroyuki Yoshida.
7. Bernard Ghanem, Jianming Liang, Jinbo Bi, Marcos Salganicoff and Arun Krishnan. Reduction of lymph tissue false positives in pulmonary embolism detection, In Maryellen L. Giger and Nico Karssemeijer, editors, Medical Imaging 2008: Computer-Aided Diagnosis, February 18–20, 2008, San Diego, California,
8. Jianming Liang and Jinbo Bi. Computer aided detection of pulmonary embolism with tobogganing and multiple instance classification in CT pulmonary angiography. In Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging, 20th International Conference, IPMI 2007, Kerkrade, The Netherlands, July 2-6, 2007, pages 630 – 641.
9. Jinbo Bi and Jianming Liang. Multiple instance learning of pulmonary embolism detection with geodesic distance along vascular structure. In Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’07), Minneapolis, Minnesota, June 18–23, 2007.
10. J. Liang, Z. Xue, M. Wolf and M. Salganicoff. Reducing false positives for automatic computerized detection of pulmonary embolism. In Proceedings of the 2006 Annual Meeting of the Society for ComputerApplications in Radiology (SCAR), Austin, Texas. April 27 – 30, 2006, pages 23 – 27.
11. J. Liang, M. Wolf, and M. Salganicoff. A fast toboggan-based method for automatic detection and segmentation of pulmonary embolism in CT angiography. The Eighth International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2005), Palm Springs, California. Oct 26 to Oct 30, 2005. (short paper, poster presentation).
12. P. Cathier, S. Periaswamy, A. Jerebko, M. Dundar, J. Liang, G. Fung, J. Stoeckel, T. Venkata, R. Amara, A. Krishnan, B. Rao, A. Gupta, E. Vega, S. Laks, A. Megibow, M. Macari, and L. Bogoni. CAD for polyp detection: An invaluable tool to meet the increasing need for colon-cancer screening. CARS - Proceedings of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 2004, pages 978-982.
13. J. Liang, et. al. Intelligent systems for analog circuit design automation: A survey. In Proceedings of the 5th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, pages 427–432, Orlando, Florida, 2001.
14. J. Liang. Cardiac motion and shape analysis in dynamic chest imaging. In Proceedings of the 5th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, pages 415–420, Orlando, Florida, 2001.
15. J. Liang. Lung registration and motion analysis in dynamic chest imaging. In Proceedings of the 5th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, pages 421–426, Orlando, Florida, 2001.
16. Jianming Liang, Timo J¨arvi, Aaro Kiuru, Martti Kormano, and Erkki Svedstr¨om. Dynamic chest image analysis: Evaluation of model-based perfusion analysis with pyramid images. In Proceedings of the 23rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Istanbul, Volume 1, pages 415–420, Turkey, 25-28 October 2001. (invited paper)
17. T. Ojala, J. Liang, J. N¨appi and O. Nevalainen. Interactive segmentation of the breast region from digitized mammograms with united snakes. In Proc. IASTED International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (SPC 2000), pages 132–136, Marbella, Spain.
18. Jianming Liang, Tim McInerney, and Demetri Terzopoulos. United snakes. In Proc. Seventh International Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV’99), pages 933–940, Kerkyra (Corfu), Greece, September 1999. IEEE Computer Society Press.
19. Jianming Liang, Tim McInerney, and Demetri Terzopoulos. Interactive medical image segmentation with united snakes. In Proc. Second International Conf. on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 99), pages 116–127, Cambridge, England, September 1999. Springer.
20. Jianming Liang, Arto Haapanen, Timo J¨arvi, Aaro Kiuru, Martti Kormano, Erkki Svedstr¨om, and Raimo Virkki. Dynamic chest image analysis: Model-based pulmonary perfusion analysis with pyramid images. In Eric A. Hoffman, editor, Medical Imaging 1998: Physiology and Function from Multidimensional Images, pages 63–72, San Diego, CA, 1998.
21. Jianming Liang, Timo J¨arvi, Aaro Kiuru, Martti Kormano, Erkki Svedstr¨om, and Raimo Virkki. Dynamic chest image analysis: Model-based ventilation study with pyramid images. In Eric A. Hoffman, editor, Medical Imaging 1997: Physiology and Function from Multidimensional Images, pages 81–92, Newport Beach, CA, 1997.
22. Jianming Liang, Raimo Virkki, Timo J¨arvi, Aaro Kiuru, Martti Kormano, and Erkki Svedstr¨om. Dynamic chest image analysis: Evaluation of model-based ventilation study with pyramid images. In Richard Zurawski and Zhi-Qiang Liu, editors, In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Processing Systems, pages 989–993, Beijing, China, 1997.
23. Jianming Liang, Finn Verner Jensen, and H. I. Christensen. A framework for generic object recognition with Bayesian networks. In Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Soft Computing for Pattern Recognition, pages C9–C15, Reading, UK., March 1996.
24. Jianming Liang, Qinliang Ren, Zhuoqun Xu, and Jiaqi Fang. Causal networks and their toolkit in KSE. In Proceeding of the Fifth International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems (IPMU), Paris, France, 1994.
25. F. V. Jensen and J. Liang. drHugin - A system for value of information in Bayesian networks, In Proceeding of the Fifth International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems (IPMU), pages 178-183, Paris, France, 1994.