Distinguished Professor of Clinical Psychology, Cognitive Science, and Neuroscience
Cancer Prevention and Control
Year of Membership Acceptance:
Summary of Research Activity:
Dr. Allen is interested broadly in the etiology and treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. Listed below are four themes addressed in his current research:
- Identifying risk factors for depression using electroencephalographic and autonomic psychophysiological measures, especially EEG asymmetry, resting state fMRI connectivity, and cardiac vagal control.
- Identifying causes of and developing novel treatments for mood and anxiety disorders, including Transcranial Ultrasound, EEG biofeedback, and Transcranial Direct Current and Transcranial Alternating Current.
- Understanding how emotion influences how individuals make decisions and monitor their actions, including error monitoring, reward learning, and cognitive control.
- The assessment of memory and amnesia using event-related potentials; Assessing deception and malingering; Assessment of memory and amnesia in dissociative disorders.
Positions and Honors:
- Visiting Faculty, Universität Würzburg, Summer I 2013
- Distinguished Professor, University of Arizona, Spring 2006
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science, Spring 2006
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science, University of Arizona, Spring 2005
- Graduate College and Professional Education Teaching and Mentoring Award, University of Arizona, Spring 2005
- Special Award for Distinguished Service as the Chair of the Committee to Promote Student Interests, Society for Psychophysiological Research, Summer II 2004
- Leicester & Kathryn Sherrill Creative Teaching Award, University of Arizona, Spring 2004
- Distinguished Contribution to Research, Arizona Psychological Association, Summer II 2001
- Distinguished Scientific Award for an Early Career Contribution to Psychophysiology, Society for Psychophysiological Research, Summer II 2000
Board Certifications & Licenses:
Licensed Psychologist, Arizona (1993)
Psychology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
BS Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin