Infectious disease; Developmental, cell and molecular biology; Gene environment interactions and epigenetics; Host-microbe interactions and immunology
Human hairless gene (HR) codes for a histone H3K9 demethylase and plays important roles in skin function and brain development. How HR exerts its action in target tissues is unclear. We hypothesize that beyond hair growth, HR may function as a tumor suppressor and the underlying mechanisms are through its novel DNA binding motif on downstream genes and subsequently suppresses tumor carcinogenesis. Our research could potentially highlight HR a potential therapeutic strategy for cancer prognosis.
- Hsieh, J-C., Kuta, R., Armour, C. R., and Boehmer, P. E. (2014). Identification of two novel functional p53 responsive elements in the herpes simplex virus-1 genome. Virology 460-461:45-54. PMCID: PMC4090806
- Hsieh, J.-C., Estess, R. C., Whitfield, G. K., Kaneko, I., Jurukta, P. W. and Haussler, M. R. (2014). Vitamin D receptor-mediated control of Soggy, Wise, and Hairless gene expression in keratinocytes. Journal of Endocrinology 220:1-15.
- Saini RK, Kaneko I, Jurutka PW, Forster R, Hsieh A, Hsieh J.-C, Haussler MR, Whitfield GK. (2013) 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D(3) Regulation of Fibroblast Growth Factor-23 Expression in Bone Cells: Evidence for Primary and Secondary Mechanisms Modulated by Leptin and Interleukin-6. Calcif Tissue Int. 92: 339-353. PMCID: PMC3595337
- Hsieh, J.-C., Slater, S. A., Whitfield, G. K., Dawson, J. L., Hsieh, G., Sheedy, C., Haussler, C. A., and Haussler, M. R. Analysis of hairless corepressor mutants to characterize molecular cooperation with the vitamin D receptor in promoting the mammalian hair cycle. J. Cell. Biochem. 110, 671-686 (2010) PMCID: PMC20512927
- Haussler, M.R., Haussler, C.A., Bartik, L., Whitfield, G.K., Hsieh, J.-C., Slater, S., and Jurutka, P.W. (2008) Vitamin D receptor: molecular signaling and actions of nutritional ligands in disease prevention. Nutrition Reviews 66, S98-S112.