Dr. Bishop is an Professor of Medicine, Clinical Scholar Track, in the Department of Medicine, at the University of Arizona, and a member of The University of Arizona Cancer Center in Tucson. She also a medical oncologist and chair of the ethics committee at the Southern Arizona Veterans Administration Health Care System (SAVAHCS). She specializes in treatment of breast and brain cancers, as well as end-of-life care.
Dr. Bishop earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing and a medical degree from The University of Arizona, where she also completed her residency and fellowship programs.
Dr. Bishop teaches at the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels. She was included on the Dean's List for Excellence in Teaching in the Clinical Sciences. Dr. Bishop is also a Faculty Mentor for the Societies Program at The University of Arizona College of Medicine. Societies, a professional learning community, is a four-year longitudinal teaching and mentoring program for the medical students where they learn interviewing, physical examination, and patient care skills at the patient bedside. She also provides instruction in developing clinical thinking, documentation and presentation skills, and provides consistent and structured exposure to modern concepts of professionalism.
Dr. Bishop is board-certified in internal medicine, medical oncology and hospice and palliative medicine.
Dr. Bishop is also an Associate Editor of the Journal of Cancer Education
Breast and brain cancers and end-of-life care.
1. Wood WR, Lotan R, Nakajima M, Bevacqua SJ, Stuver I, Misiorowski RL, Seftor EA, Bishop MC, Hendrix MJC (intro. By Conrad K). A Retinoic Acid Inhibits Human Melanoma Tumor Cell Invasion: Correlation with Enzyme Secretion, Oncogene and Cytoskeletal Gene Expression and Cell Surface Receptors. Clinical Research 37:1:144A 1989.
2. Bishop MC, Gores FA, Stempel J, Torrington P, Tynan C, Jaskar D, Garewal HS. A Collaborative End-of-Life Care Curriculum. American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care, Volume 17, Number 2, March/April 2000.
3. Gores F,Torrington P, Bishop MC. End-of-Life Curriculum: A Collaborative Effort between the University of Arizona, VA Southwestern Arizona Healthcare System, and Three Community Hospices, Veterans Affairs Health System Journal, Vol. 5, No. 11, 2001
4. Gores FA, Bishop MC, Jaskar D. A Collaborative Approach to End-of-Life Care. Federal Practitioner, Vol 18, Number 1, January 2001.
5. Roncaroli F, Nose V, Scheithauer BW, Kovacs K, Horvath E, Young, WB Jr, Lloyd RV, Bishop MC, His B, Fletcher JA. Gonadotropic pituitary carcinoma: HER-2/neu expression and gene amplification. Report of two cases. Journal of Neurosurgery, Vol. 99 (2): 402 – 408, August 2003.
6. Dayani PN, Bishop MC, Black K, Zeltzer PM. Desferoxamine (DFO)-Mediated Iron Chelation Rational For A Novel Approach To Therapy For Brain Cancer. J Neurooncol. May 2004;67(3):367-377.
7. Bishop MC, Taylor AM, Ahner H, Olson-Garewal K, Rein J, Reiser S, Garewal HS. Initial Phases of Development of a Multidisciplinary, Culturally Competent Cancer and End-of-Life Curriculum for Medical Students. Journal of Cancer Education, Vol 19, No.3 Fall 2004.
8. Bishop MC, Rein J , Ahner H, Taylor AM, Klinkhammer T. End of Life Care Education in U.S. Medical Schools: Results of a Website Survey, Journal of Cancer Education, Vol. 20, No. 3 Fall 2005.
9. Bishop MC, Taylor AM, Rein J , Ahner H, Olson-Garewal K. First-year Medical Students Knowledge and Attitudes Regarding End-of Life Care issues, Journal of Cancer Education, Vol 20, No. 3 Fall 2005.
10. Bishop MC, Reiser S, Taylor A, Rein JA, Hall J. The Instructional System Design Model: A Framework for Development of a Web-based Program. Journal of Biocommunication, 2007; 32:3 (online).
11. Nguyen, N, Bishop, MC, Borok, T, Welsh, J, Hamilton, R, Cohen, D, Nguyen, L, Vincent, V. Pattern of Failure Following Chemoradiation for Locally Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Potential Role for Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy. Anticancer Research, 30:953-962, 2010.
12. Badger TA, Segrin C, Figueredo AJ, Harrington J, Sheppard K, Passalacqua S, Pasvogel A, Bishop M. Psychosocial Interventions to Improve Quality of Life in Prostate Cancer Survivors and Their Intimate or Family Partners. Quality of Life Research. August 2011, Volume 20, Issue6, pp 833-844 Date:19 Dec 2010.
13. Badger TA, Sergrin C, Figueredo AJ, Harrington J, Sheppard K, Passalacqua S, Pasvogel A, Bishop M. Who Benefits From a Psychosocial Counseling Versus Educational Intervention to Improve Psychological Quality of Life in Prostate Cancer Survivors? Psychology & Health, Volume 28, Issue3, 2013.
14. Larsen BT, Bishop MC, Hunter GC, Renner SW. Low Grade Metastasizing Splenic Littoral Cell Angiosarcoma Presenting With Hepatic Cirrhosis and Splenic Artery Aneurysm. Int J Surg Pahol. 2013 Dec;21(6):618-26. Doi: 10.1177/1066896913476737. Epub 2013 Feb 19.
15. Agarwal A, Larsen BT, Buadu LD, Dunn J, Crawford R, Daniel J, Bishop MC. Denosumab Chemotherapy for Recurrent Giant-Cell Tumor of Bone: A Case Report of Neoadjuvant Use Enabling Complete Surgical Resection. Case Rep Oncology. Oncol Med. 2013;2013:496351. Doi:10.1155/2013/496351. Epub 2013 Jul 30.
16. Rogowitz E, Babiker HM, Kanaan M, Millius RA, Ringenberg QS, Bishop M. Neuroblastoma of the elderly, an oncologist’s nightmare: case presentation, literature review and SEER database analysis. Exp Hematol Oncol. 2014 Jul 17;3:20. Doi: 10.1186/2162-3619-3-20.eCollection 2014.
17. Szumacher E, Bishop MC. Career Counseling for Medical Oncology and Radiation Oncology Postgraduate Trainees, Journal of Cancer Education, Vol. 29, No. s1 September 2014.
18. Taverna JA, Babiker HM, Yun S, Bishop MC, Lau-Braunhut S, Meyer PN, Enzler T. The great masquerader of malignancy: chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction. Biomarker Research. (2014) 2:23. Doi: 10.1186/s40364-014-0023-y.
2012 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine Hospice and Palliative Medicine
2008 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine Medical Oncology Recertification
2006 Diplomate, American Association of Hospice and Palliative Medicine American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
2004 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine Recertification
1998 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
1997 Board Eligible, Hematology
1994 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System:
2013-Present Member, Women’s Veteran’s Health Committee
2013-Present Member, Cancer Committee, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System
2005 Member, Research Impact Committee, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System
1999-2000 Member, Pain Management Improvement Team Charter, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System
1999-Present Chair, Ethics Committee, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System
1998-2001 Member, Quality of Care Committee, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System
Arizona Cancer Center:
2014 Principal Investigator SWOG, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System
2004 Member, Brain Tumor Group, SWOG
2001 Sunstone Project Research Committee Member
1999 Member, Committee on Women and Special Populations Working Group, SWOG
1999 Member, Committee on Women and Special Populations, SWOG
1999-Present Member, Breast Cancer Committee, SWOG
1998 Member, Biobehavioral Oncology Research Program
College of Medicine:
2015-Present Chair, Search Committee, Associate Dean, Student Affairs and Admissions
2014 Member, University of Arizona College of Medicine, LCME Reaccreditation Committee
2008-Present Mentor, Internal Medicine, Residency Program
2006-Present Mentor, Societies Program, University of Arizona College of Medicine
2004-Present Interviewer for Applicants to the University of Arizona College of Medicine
2001-2003 Member, Admissions Committee, College of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine
2000 Member, Planning Committee, Hartford/AAMC Grant, University of Arizona College of Medicine
2000 Pharmacology Curriculum Review Committee
University of Arizona:
2014 Member, University of Arizona Cancer Center, Hematology/Oncology Fellows Selection Committee
2011-Present Member, Cancer Biology Graduate Program Dissertation Committee
2011-Present Member, University of Arizona, Palliative Care Fellowship Program
2010-Present Member, Nominating Committee
2009-Present Member, Physician Well-Being Committee
2007 Member, Arizona Arthritis Center Director Search Committee
2005-Present Interviewer for Applicants to the Internal Medicine Residency Program
2004-2005 Honor Code Committee, University of Arizona
2003 Member, University of Arizona End of Life Care Committee
2002 Member, Review Team, Academic Program Review of the Department of Radiation Oncology
1997-2002 Member, University of Arizona, Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Committee
2012, 2010, 2009, 2008: Selected for Consumers' Research Council of America, Guide to America's Top Oncologists
2009: Recipient of March/April issue, Focus on Faculty Member, University of Arizona College of Medicine