Internal Contact Information
Dr. Kupinski has over 20 years of experience in the field of image science, and has worked and published on topics including modeling of imaging systems, image reconstruction, computation of ideal-observer performance, development of adaptive imaging, and assessment of imaging hardware using task-based metrics of image quality, to name a few. He has worked in a number of imaging modalities including nuclear-medicine, x-ray, CT, and diffuse optimal imaging. Much of his work in the past has related to small-animal imaging or with the initial design of commercial SPECT and CT imaging systems. This project is of keen interest to him since it allows the direct applications of many of the methods he has championed into a tool that will have immediate clinical impact.
Dr. Kupinski was one of the mentors for the senior design team that started this project regarding wearable sensors and motion correction. His membership in the University of Arizona Cancer Center has opened up new opportunities for collaborations with a variety of researchers.
- A.K. Jha, H.T. van Dam, M.A. Kupinski and E. Clarkson, “Simulating Silicon Photomultiplier response to scintillation light,” IEEE Transaction on Nuclear Science 60(1): 336-351, 2013. [PubMed - in process]
- C. Lee, M. A. Kupinski, L. Volokh, “Assessment of cardiac single-photon emission computed tomography performance using a scanning linear observer,” Medical Physics 40(1):011906, 2013. PMID: 23298097, [PubMed - in process]
- A.K. Jha, M. A. Kupinski, T.Masumura, E. Clarkson, A.A. Maslov, H.H. Barrett, “Simulating photontransport in uniform media using the Radiative Transport Equation: A study using the Neumann-series approach,” JOSA A 29(8), 1741-1757, 2012. PMID: 23201893, [PubMed - in process]
- A.K. Jha, M. A. Kupinski, H.H. Barrett, E. Clarkson, J.H. Hartman, “Three-Dimensional Neumann-Series for Modeling Light Transport in Nonuniform Media,” JOSA A 29(9): 1885-1899, 2012. PMID: 23201945, [PubMed - in process]
- E. Clarkson, R. Palit, M. A. Kupinski, “SVD for imaging systems with discrete rotational symmetry,” Optics Express 18(24): 25306-25320, 2010. PMC3027225
- E. Clarkson, M. A. Kupinski, “Global compartmental pharmacokinetic models for spatiotemporal SPECT and PET imaging,” SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences 2(1), 204-225, 2009. PMC2905890
- H. H. Barrett, L. Furenlid, M. Freed, J. Y. Hesterman, M. A. Kupinski, E. Clarkson, M. K. Whitaker, “Adaptive SPECT,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 27(6): 775-788, 2008. PMID: 18541485, [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- M. Freed, M. A. Kupinski, L. Furenlid, H. H. Barrett, “A Prototype Instrument for Single Pinhole Small-Animal Adaptive SPECT Imaging”, Medical Physics 35(5):1912-25, 2008. PMC2575412
- E. Clarkson, M. A. Kupinski, H. H. Barrett, A Task-Based Approach to Adaptive and Multimodality Imaging,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Invited Paper, 46(3): 500-511, 2008. PMC2597814
- J. Y. Hesterman, M. A. Kupinski, E. Clarkson, et al., “Hardware assessment using the multi-module, multiresolution system (M3R) – A signal-detection study,” Medical Physics 34(7): 3034-3044, 2007. PMC2471875
- J. Y. Hesterman, M. A. Kupinski, L. R. Furenlid, et al., “The multi-module, multi-resolution system M3R: A novel small-animal SPECT system,” Medical Physics 34(3):987-993, 2007. PMC2517228
- M. A. Kupinski, E. Clarkson, H. H. Barrett, “A probabilistic model for the MRMC method, part 2: Validation and applications,” Academic Radiology 13, 1422-1430, 2006.
- E. Clarkson, M. A. Kupinski, H. H. Barrett, “A probabilistic model for the MRMC method, part 1: Theoretical development,” Academic Radiology 13(11):1410-1421, 2006. PMC2844793
- M. A. Kupinski, John W. Hoppin, Joshua Krasnow, Seth Dahlberg, Jeffrey A. Leppo, Michael A. King, Eric Clarkson, and Harrison H. Barrett, “Comparing Cardiac Ejection Fraction Estimation Algorithms Without a Gold Standard,” Academic Radiology 13(3):329-337, 2006. PMC2464280
- M. A. Kupinski, J. W. Hoppin, E. Clarkson, H. H. Barrett, “Ideal Observer Computation Using Markov-Chain Monte Carlo,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A 20, 430-438, 2003.