Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Professor, Cancer Biology - GIDP
For many years, Dr. Kuo has worked closely with the University of Arizona Cancer Center members, Marty Pagel and Amanda Baker, to develop acidoCEST MRI for pre-clinical studies. More recently, they have collaborated to develop clinical acidoCEST MRI, SAFARI “direct-CEST” MRI, and QUESPOWR “reverse-CEST” MRI at the University of Arizona.
Dr. Kuo's background as a clinical radiologist and physician scientist provides him the experience to move forward with translational research. This has required joint efforts to obtain approval from their institution’s IRB for clinical research, combined efforts to arrange for commercial contrast agents from several companies, and many team meetings to organize the logistics and protocols for performing clinical research studies that involve the injection of a contrast agent. For example specifically, Dr. Kuo is the principal investigator on the Institutional Review Board approved protocol for the use of CEST on normal volunteers and patients. He looks forward to helping his collaborators understand the intricacies of the regulatory issues for clinical trials as well as the myriad other aspects for running a successful trial.
- Ho A, Avery R, Krupinski E, Warneke J and Kuo PH: Predictive Role of Imaging in Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection for Melanoma. Lymphology; 2014; 47(3): 134-141.
- Chen LQ, Howison C, Jeffrey J, Robey I, Kuo PH and Pagel M: Evaluations of extracellular pH within in vivo tumors using acidoCEST MRI. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2014, 72(5): 1408-17.
- Kuo PH, Nauman RW, Symanowski J, Nguyen B, Harb W and Edelman MJ: 99mTc-etarfolatide (EC20) SPECT imaging for the identification of ovarian and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients who are most likely to benefit from folate-receptor targeted agent vintafolide (EC145). Journal of Nuclear Medicine, February 2013; 54(2S): 14.
- Goldberg MR and Kuo PH. Thrombus presents as palpable breast mass. The Breast Journal, 2011, 17(5), 561–563.
- Kuo PH, Thompson K, Christensen I, Girardi M, and Heald PW. (Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography) FDG-PET/CT for the Evaluation of Response to Therapy of Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma to Suberoylanilide Hydroxamic Acid in a Phase II Trial. Molecular Imaging and Biology. Nov-Dec 2008, 10(6):306-14.
- Kuo PH, Chen Z, and Weidhaas J. (Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography) FDG-PET/CT for the Optimization of Planning of Radiation Therapy. Applied Radiology. Aug 2008: 1-23.
- Kuo PH, McClennan BL, Thompson K, Wilson LD, Edelson RL, Heald PW, and Girardi M. (2008) FDG-PET/CT in the Evaluation of Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma. Molecular Imaging and Biology. 10(2):74-81.
- Kuo PH, Kanal E, Abu-Alfa A, and Cowper S. (2007) Gadolinium-Based MRI Contrast Agents and Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis. Radiology 242(3): 647-9.
- Kuo PH and Shin MS. (2007) Pulmonary and Peritoneal Ossification. New England Journal of Medicine 356(17): e16.
- Rye RO, Kuo PH, Holland HD. (1995) Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations before 2.2 billion years ago. Nature 378: 603-605.
2010-2014 Associate Professor, Departments of Medical Imaging, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering, Section Chief of Nuclear Medicine and Director of PET/CT, Department of Medical Imaging, University of Arizona School of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona
2008-2010 Clinical Director of Breast Imaging and Associate Section Head of Nuclear Medicine, Southern Arizona Veterans Administration Hospital, Tucson, AZ
2008-2010 Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Section of Hematology-Oncology, University of Arizona School of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona
2005-2008 Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
2004-2005 Clinical Instructor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
2014 Instructor for the American College of Radiology PET/CT Course (Reston, VA)
2014 Grand Saguaro Award for Teaching of Medical Students
2014 Featured lecturer at the Etarfolatide European Expert Faculty Meeting at the Old Stock Exchange in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Lectured to over 30 nuclear medicine experts from across Europe.
2014 #1 and #5 Most-Cited Articles from last 2 years as of September 1, 2014 for Journal of Nuclear Medicine Technology
2013 SAM-CME Course Instructor for Dopamine Transporter Imaging at the Annual Meeting of the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (Vancouver, Canada)
2013 Primary sponsor for Capstone senior project in Engineering: Motion Correction for PET and SPECT Using Wearable Sensors
2013 Plenary session talk at the AACR-SNMMI State-of-the-Art Molecular Imaging in Cancer Biology and Therapy Joint Conference (San Diego, CA)
2013 Member of expert panel for white paper on “Efficient and Effective Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease: Guidance for Managed Care” (Miami, FL)
2013 Instructor for the American College of Radiology PET/CT Course (Reston, VA)
2013 Course Instructor for Molecular Neuroimaging at the Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society (Washington, DC)
2012 Steering Committee for Endocyte’s development of targeted folate receptor imaging
2010 Medical Advisory Council to the Global Fibrosis Foundation
2010 Co-Director of Research Education for the Arizona Cancer Center
2009 Medscape’s Top 10 Most Read Articles by Radiologists July 2009.
2009 Medscape’s #1 full-text journal article read by radiologists July 2009. Kuo PH, Abu-Alfa A, Bucala R, , Griffith J, Thompson K, Girardi M, Weinreb J, Cowper SE. MRI with Gadolinium-based Contrast Agents in the Era of Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis: Review, Controversies, and Suggested Protocols. Applied Radiology. April 2009, 38(4): 22-33.
2008 Guest Editor for special issue of the Journal of the American College of Radiology entitled “Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis and MRI Contrast”
2008 Cover article for Applied Radiology Aug 2008
2006 Award for Education Exhibit: Kuo PH and Weidhaas J. “Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography (FDG-PET/CT) for the Optimization of Planning of Radiation Therapy”, Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, IL.
2000 Society of Fellows, Representative for the School of Medicine (University of Virginia)
1994-2000 Medical Scientist Training Program Fellowship (University of Virginia)
1990-1994 Dean’s List Harvard University
2010 Member of Medical Advisory Council to the Global Fibrosis Foundation
2010 Member of the American Roentgen Ray Society
2009 Reviewer for Investigative Radiology
2009 Reviewer for American Journal of Roentgenology
2008 Reviewer for Molecular Imaging and Biology
2008 Reviewer for European Radiology
2008 Full Member of the Arizona Cancer Center
2008 Diplomate of the American Board of Radiology
2008 Reviewer for Nature Medicine
2006 Diplomate of the Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology
2006 Advisory Panel to FDA on Association of Gadolinium-Based MRI Contrast with Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis
2005 Member of the Radiological Society of North America
2004 Diplomate of the American Board of Nuclear Medicine
2003 Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine
2008 - American Board of Radiology
2006 - Board of Nuclear Cardiology
2004 - American Board of Nuclear Medicine
2003 - American Board of Internal Medicine
2003 - Medical Board of Connecticut Medical Licensure
4/01 - USMLE Step 3
2/00 - USMLE Step 2
6/96 - USMLE Step 1 – 99th percentile