Departments of Medicine and Biomedical Engineering
Section Chief of Nuclear Medicine
For many years, Dr. Kuo has worked closely with the University of Arizona Cancer Center members, Marty Pagel and Amanda Baker, to develop acidoCEST MRI for pre-clinical studies. More recently, they have collaborated to develop clinical acidoCEST MRI, SAFARI “direct-CEST” MRI, and QUESPOWR “reverse-CEST” MRI at the University of Arizona.
Dr. Kuo's background as a clinical radiologist and physician scientist provides him the experience to move forward with translational research. This has required joint efforts to obtain approval from their institution’s IRB for clinical research, combined efforts to arrange for commercial contrast agents from several companies, and many team meetings to organize the logistics and protocols for performing clinical research studies that involve the injection of a contrast agent. For example specifically, Dr. Kuo is the principal investigator on the Institutional Review Board approved protocol for the use of CEST on normal volunteers and patients. He looks forward to helping his collaborators understand the intricacies of the regulatory issues for clinical trials as well as the myriad other aspects for running a successful trial.
- Ho A, Avery R, Krupinski E, Warneke J and Kuo PH: Predictive Role of Imaging in Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection for Melanoma. Lymphology; 2014; 47(3): 134-141.
- Chen LQ, Howison C, Jeffrey J, Robey I, Kuo PH and Pagel M: Evaluations of extracellular pH within in vivo tumors using acidoCEST MRI. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2014, 72(5): 1408-17.
- Kuo PH, Nauman RW, Symanowski J, Nguyen B, Harb W and Edelman MJ: 99mTc-etarfolatide (EC20) SPECT imaging for the identification of ovarian and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients who are most likely to benefit from folate-receptor targeted agent vintafolide (EC145). Journal of Nuclear Medicine, February 2013; 54(2S): 14.
- Goldberg MR and Kuo PH. Thrombus presents as palpable breast mass. The Breast Journal, 2011, 17(5), 561–563.
- Kuo PH, Thompson K, Christensen I, Girardi M, and Heald PW. (Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography) FDG-PET/CT for the Evaluation of Response to Therapy of Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma to Suberoylanilide Hydroxamic Acid in a Phase II Trial. Molecular Imaging and Biology. Nov-Dec 2008, 10(6):306-14.
- Kuo PH, Chen Z, and Weidhaas J. (Fluorodeoxyglucose-Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography) FDG-PET/CT for the Optimization of Planning of Radiation Therapy. Applied Radiology. Aug 2008: 1-23.
- Kuo PH, McClennan BL, Thompson K, Wilson LD, Edelson RL, Heald PW, and Girardi M. (2008) FDG-PET/CT in the Evaluation of Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma. Molecular Imaging and Biology. 10(2):74-81.
- Kuo PH, Kanal E, Abu-Alfa A, and Cowper S. (2007) Gadolinium-Based MRI Contrast Agents and Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis. Radiology 242(3): 647-9.
- Kuo PH and Shin MS. (2007) Pulmonary and Peritoneal Ossification. New England Journal of Medicine 356(17): e16.
- Rye RO, Kuo PH, Holland HD. (1995) Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations before 2.2 billion years ago. Nature 378: 603-605.
2008 - American Board of Radiology
2006 - Board of Nuclear Cardiology
2004 - American Board of Nuclear Medicine
2003 - American Board of Internal Medicine
2003 - Medical Board of Connecticut Medical Licensure
4/01 - USMLE Step 3
2/00 - USMLE Step 2
6/96 - USMLE Step 1 – 99th percentile
Radiological Society of North America
Society of Nuclear Medicine
American Roentgen Ray Society
American College of Radiology
American Association for Cancer Research