Dr. Landowski is an Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine. Her research interests include the molecular basis for chemotherapeutic drug activity and mechanisms of drug resistance. Drug resistance is a major obstacle in cancer treatment, and is known to be mediated by both innate tumor characteristics as well as interaction of the tumor with the microenvironment. Dr. Landowski’s published work and that of many others have established the concept that cytotoxic agents induce a stress response that can inhibit programmed cell death to provide a temporal survival advantage and allow the acquisition of stable mechanisms of resistance. Similarly, the response to physiological cues, including growth factor deprivation, DNA damage, metabolic insufficiency, and the loss of cell adhesion activates survival mechanisms that are essential for normal tissue homeostasis.
- The emergence of drug resistance via epigenetic reprogramming in response to physiological or pharmacological stress.
- The effects of the microenvironment on ER stress response and cell death associated with failed autophagy.
- The effects of the bone marrow microenvironment on DNA damage response (DDR).
- Geffre CP, Pond E, Pond GD, Sroka IC, Gard JM, Skovan BA, Meek WE, Landowski TH, Nagle RB, Cress AE. Combined micro CT and histopathology for evaluation of skeletal metastasis in live animals. Am J Transl Res 2015:7(2):348-355.
- Samulitis BK, Pond KW, Pond E, Cress AE, Patel H, Wisner L, Patel C, Dorr RT, Landowski TH. Gemcitabine resistant pancreatic cancer cell lines acquire an invasive phenotype with collateral hypersensitivity to histone deacetylase inhibitors. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015:16(1)43-51.
- Barr PM, Miller TP, Friedberg JW, Peterson DR, Baran AM, Herr M, Spier CM, Cui H, Roe DJ, Persky DO, Casulo C, Littleton J, Schwartz M, Puvvada S, Landowski TH, Rimsza LM, Dorr RT, Fisher RI, Bernstein SH, Briehl MM. Phase 2 study of imexon, a prooxidant molecule in relapsed and refractory B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 2014:124(8);1259-65.
- Landowski TH, Gard J, Pond E, Pond GD, Nagle RB, Geffre CP, Cress AE. Targeting Integrin A6 stimulates curative-type bone metastasis lesions in a xenograft model. Mol Cancer Ther, 2014:13(6):1558-66.
- Landowski TH, Samulitis BK, Dorr RT. The Diaryl Oxazole PC-046 is a Tubulin-Binding Agent with Experimental Anti-Tumor Efficacy in Hematologic Cancers. Investigational New Drugs; 2013;31(6):1616-25.
- Escalante AE, McGrath RT, Karolak, MR, Dorr RT, Lynch RM, Landowski TH. Inhibition of calpain prevents the autophagic survival response and promotes bortezomib-mediated cytotoxicity in myeloma cells. Cancer Chemother Pharm; 2013, 71(6):1567-76.
- Sheveleva EV, Landowski TH, Samulitis BK, Bartholomeusx G, Powis G, Dorr RT. Imexon induces an ER stress response in pancreatic cancer cells, Mol Cancer Res; 2012;10(3):392-400.
- Landowski TH, Megli CJ, Nullmeyer KD, Lynch RM, Dorr RT; Mitochondrial-mediated disregulation of Ca2+ is a critical determinant of Velcade (PS-341/bortezomib) cytotoxicity in myeloma cell lines; Cancer Research; 2005; 65(9):3828-3836.
2007-date Southwest Oncology Group, Translational Medicine, Myeloma committee
2007-date American Society of Hematology, Member
1995-date American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member
1995-date American Association for Cancer Research, Member