Internal Contact Information
Dr. Gonzalez earned his medical degree from Florida State University where he was elected to the AOA medical honor society. He received his undergraduate degree with highest honors from the University of Florida. After completing his internship in internal medicine at the University of California San Diego, he trained in Radiation Oncology at the University of Utah's Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Dr. Gonzalez is Assistant Professor at the University of Arizona, Department of Radiation Oncology, and a member of the University of Arizona Cancer Center and currently serves on the Scientific Review Committee. He specializes in treating patients with breast cancer, lymphoma and metastatic cancer.
As a practicing academic radiation oncologist, Dr. Gonzalez works closely with members of different multidisciplinary care teams. This provides him with an oncology background that is both strong and broad. He treats patients with cancer on a daily basis. This makes him attuned to areas of clinical need including improved detection, prevention, and therapeutics. The academic component of his profession includes teaching residents, running journal clubs, designing research studies and participating in cooperative oncology groups and attending annual meetings. Through these diverse aspects of oncology care, Dr. Gonzalez is able to bring unique and constructive insight to his clinical and academic practice.
Dr. Gonzalez specializes in breast radiotherapy and works closely with the multidisciplinary breast cancer treatment team. He employs numerous different treatment techniques to best adapt therapy to suit individual patient needs. These include external whole breast radiotherapy as well as accelerated partial breast radiotherapy with either high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy or external beam radiation.
Dr. Gonzalez has published research in peer-reviewed journals and has presented data at national research conferences. His research includes investigation of novel techniques for whole breast radiotherapy and he recently was the primary investigator on a prospective trial investigating methods for improving intensity modulated radiation therapy. His current areas of interest include advanced treatment modalities for radiation therapy following mastectomy. Dr. Gonzalez is a member of the American Society of Radiation Oncology, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the American Brachytherapy Society.
- Ghia AJ, Gonzalez VJ, Tward JD, Stroup AM, Pappas L, Gaffney DK. Primary Vaginal Cancer and Chemoradiotherapy: A Patterns-of-Care Analysis. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2011 Feb;21(2):378-84.
- Gonzalez V, Buchholz D, Langen K, Olivera G, Chauhan B, Meeks S, Ruchala K, Haimerl J, Lu W, Kupelian P. Evaluation Of Two Tomotherapy-Based Techniques For The Delivery Of Whole Breast Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy. Int J Radi Oncol Biol Phys 2006;65(1):284-90.
- Stea B, Hazard LJ, Gonzalez VJ, Hamilton R. The Role of Radiation Therapy in the Control of Locoregional and Metastatic Cancer. J. Surg. Oncol. 2011;103:627-638.
- Gonzalez VJ and Gaffney DK. Molecular Biology of Cervical Cancer. In: Jhingran A and Levenback C., eds. Biology and Management of Cervical Carcinoma. Totowa NJ: Humana Press Inc, 2010.
- Gonzalez VJ and Gaffney DK. Vaginal Injury. In: Loeffler J and Shrieve D, eds. Radiation Injury. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, 2010.
- Klein RL, Cui H, Salinas E, Brown G, LeBeau LG, Gonzalez V, Lopez AM, Lang JE. A Comparison of Prognostic and Treatmetn Factors in Locally Advanced and Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Poster Presentation at the annual American Society of Breast Surgeons meeting, April 2011.
- Sarkar V, Gonzalez V, Hinkle J, Wang B, Rassiah-Szegedi P, Zhao H, Huang Y, Szegedi M, Joshi S, Salter BJ. Dosimetric Evaluation of an Alternative to 6 Degree Of Freedom Robotic Couch Correction. Int J Radi Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78(3) Page S95. Oral presentation at the 52nd annual ASTRO meeting in San Diego.
- Gonzalez V, Gaffney D, Tward J. Impact of chemoradiotherapy on survival in primary vaginal cancer. Oral presentation at 91st annual American Radium Society meeting;Vancouver, BC.2009.
- Langen K, Buchholz D, Gonzalez V, Meeks S, Wagner T, Willoughby T, Olivera G, Ruchala K, Haimerl J, Kupelian. Evaluation of Breast Tumor Bed Alignment Techniques for Image Guided Radiotherapy. Int J Radi Oncol Biol Phys 2005; 63(1) Page S179. Moderated poster discussion at the 47th annual ASTRO meeting in Denver, 2005.