Internal Contact Information
Dr. Kim originally came from South Korea and obtained his PhD at The University of California-Berkeley with a dissertation titled with “3D-image based high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy for prostate cancer” by combining radiation oncology and radiology research at The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
After completing research and clinical training at UCSF as postdoctoral researcher, he started his professional career at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh as senior medical physicist as well as assistant professor of Drexel University College of Medicine, Allegheny Campus.
He is a diplomat of the American Board of Radiology (ABR) – Therapeutic Radiologic Physics and recruited as Associate Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at The University of Arizona since September of 2012.
As a medical physicist, Dr. Kim has been involved in all aspects of clinical procedure in radiation oncology and actively doing his research in brachytherapy field: HDR brachytherapy for prostate and breast; low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy for prostate and lung. Therefore, he is appointed as a member of Task Group 222 committee “AAPM Recommendations for Operative Interstitial Lung Brachytherapy” by the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM).
In addition, his proposal regarding “AAPM Recommendations for 3D image based treatment planning, dosimetry and quality management of HDR intracavitary brachytherapy” has been recently approved as a new AAPM Task Group 236 and he will serve as a chair for that AAPM Task Group Committee.
Furthermore, his other research interests include analysis of physical and biological dosimetry data to correlate them with radiation treatment outcomes; use of functional imagines for radiation treatment planning and treatment outcome analysis; dose uncertainty analysis in radiation treatment planning and delivery.
- *Pouliot J, Kim Y, Hsu IC, Lessard E, Vigneron DB and Kurhanewicz, J. Inverse planning for HDR prostate Brachytherapy use to boost dominant intra-prostatic lesion defined by magnetic-resonance spectroscopy imaging. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004;59(4):1196-1207.
- *Kim Y, Hsu IC, Lessard E, Vujic J and Pouliot J. Dosimetric impact of prostate volume change between CT-based HDR Brachytherapy fractions. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004;59(4):1208-1216.
- *Kim Y, Hsu IC, Lessard E, Vujic J and Pouliot, J. Dose uncertainty due to CT slice thickness in CT-based high dose rate brachytherapy of the prostate cancer. Med Phys. 2004;31(9): 2543–2548.
- Park C, Kim Y, Lee N, Bucci KM, Quivey J, Verhey LJ, *Xia P. Method to account for dose fractionation in analysis of IMRT plans: modified equivalent uniform dose. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005;62(3):925-932.
- *Kim Y, Hsu IC, Pouliot J, Noworoski SM, Vigneron DB and Kurhanewicz J. Expandable and rigid endorectal coils for prostate MRI: Impact on prostate distortion and rigid image registration. Med Phys 2005;32(12):3569-3578. (Cover article)
- *Alterovitz R, Goldberg K, Pouliot J, Hsu IC, Kim Y, Noworolski S and Kurhanewicz J.Registration of MR prostate images with biomechanical modeling and nonlinear parameter estimation. Med Phys 2006;33(2):446-454.
- Kim Y, Verhey JL and *Xia P. A feasibility study of using conventional jaws to deliver IMRT plans in the treatment of prostate cancer. Phys Med Biol 2007;52(8):2147-2156.
- Kim Y, Hsu IC, Lessard E, Kurhanewicz J, Noworolski S and *Pouliot J. Class solution in inverse planned HDR prostate brachytherapy for dose escalation of DIL defined by combined MRI/MRSI. Radiother Oncol 2008; 88(1):148-155.
- *Kim Y, Parda DS, Trombetta MG, Colonias A, Wertz ED, Miller L, and Miften M. Dosimetric comparison of partial and whole breast external beam irradiation. Med Phy 2007;34(12):4640 – 4648.
- *Kim Y, Johnson M, Trombetta MG, Parda DS and Miften M. Investigation of inter-fractional variations of MammoSite balloon applicator in high dose rate brachytherapy of partial breast irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008;71(1):305-313.
- Kim Y, Hsu IC and Pouliot J*. Measurement of cranio-caudal catheter displacement between fractions in CT-based HDR brachytherapy of prostate cancer. J App Clin Med Phys 2007;6(4):1-13.
- *Trombetta MG, Julian T, Miften M. McWilliams M, Kim Y and Parda DS. The use of the MammoSite balloon applicator in re-irradiation of the breast. Brachytherapy 2008;7(4):316-319.
- *Trombetta MG, Julian T, Werts ED, McWilliams M, Kim Y, Miften M. and Parda DS. Long term cosmesis following lumpectomy and brachytherapy in the management of carcinoma of the previously irradiated breast. Am J Clin Oncol 2009; 32(3): 314-318.
- *Trombetta MG, Julian T, Kim Y, Werts ED and Parda DS. The Allegheny General modification of the Harvard breast cosmesis scale for the retreated breast. Oncol 2009; 23(11):954-956. PubMed
- *Kim Y, Werts ED, Trombetta MG, and Miften M. Evaluation of the interfractional biological effective dose (BED) variation in MammoSite high dose rate brachytherapy. J App Clin Med Phys 2010;10(3):124-134.
- *Kim Y, Trombetta MG, and Miften M. Comparison of single and multiple dwell position methods in MammoSite high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy planning. J App Clin Med Phys 2010;10(3):54-63.
- *Trombetta MG, Julian TB, Werts ED, Colonias A, Betler J, Kotinsley K, Kim Y and Parda DP. Comparison of conservative management techniques in the re-treatment of ipsilateral breast tumor recurrence. Brachytherapy 2011; 10(1):74-80.
- *Valak V, Kim Y , Wert ED and Trombetta MG. Comprehensive analysis of cardiac dose in balloon based high dose rate (HDR) breast brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys [Epub ahead of print May 19, 2011]
- Croshaw R, Kim Y, Lappinen E, Julian T and *Trombetta MG. Avoiding mastectomy: accelerated partial breast irradiation in breast cancer patients with pacemakers or defibrillators. Ann Surg Oncol 2011; 18(12):3500-3505.
- *Kim Y, and Trombetta MG. Objective method to report planner-independent skin/rib maximal dose in balloon-based high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy for breast cancer. Med Phys 2011; 38(4):2053-2057.
- Woody NW, Videtic GM, Stephans KL, Djemil T, Kim Y and *Xia P. Predicting chest wall pain from lung stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for different fractionation schemes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys [Epub ahead of print December 23, 2011] PubMed PMID: 22197087.
- *Trombetta M, Julian TB, Werts ED, Kim Y, and Parda DS. Mature follow-up Low-dose rate interstitial brachytherapy (LDR) following ipsilateral breast tumor recurrence (IBTR) in patients initially treated with breast conservation therapy: The Allegheny General Hospital experience. J Solid Tumors