PDT is a convenient way to treat actinic keratosis (AKs). AKs are precancerous skin lesions. About 10% of AKs develop into squamous cell skin cancer.
Treatment includes about a two-hour visit to the clinic
- Patient arrives, the skin cleansed and Levulan (aminolevulinic acid) is applied to the treatment site.
- Patient waits in the cancer center for 1-2 hours (depending on lesion site) for the Levulan to absorb into the cells.
- Patient returns to the clinic and the Blu-Light is applied to the treatment site for approximately 17 minutes.
- Each treatment site usually requires 2-3 treatments for best results.
- Most insurance companies including Medicare cover the procedure.
- For more information contact the Dermatology Staff at (520)694-CURE (2873).