Dr. Moreno's work has focused in the study of vulnerability, protective factors, and treatment of major depression. He has participated in research involving the use of neurotransmitter depletion paradigms, study of neurochemicals in plasma and CSF, electrophysiological measures, and assessment of molecular and psychosocial factors that may moderate the development of depressive syndromes. He has also worked in projects addressing the expression of depressive symptoms in primary care settings for Hispanic patients in rural/border areas, and has led clinical research efforts to decrease disparities in identification and treatment of depression in Hispanic immigrants.
Dr. Moreno is currently serving as PI/PD for two Diversity grants from Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). One is a Health Career Opportunities Program Center of Excellence Grant to establish and expand programs to assist individuals from educationally or economically disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake education and enter and graduate from a health or allied health professions programs. The second one is a Center of Excellence Grant to establish or expand programs for underrepresented minority individuals to enter and successfully graduate from a health professions academic program, and to promote recruitment, retention and promotion of diverse faculty.
- McGahuey CA, Gelenberg AJ, Laukes CA, Moreno FA, Delgado PL, McKnight KM, Manber R. The Arizona Sexual Experience Scale (ASEX): reliability and validity. J Sex Marital Ther. 2000 Jan-Mar;26(1):25-40. PubMed PMID: 10693114.
- Moreno FA, Delgado PL. Living with anxiety disorders: as good as it gets...? Bull Menninger Clin. 2000 Summer;64(3 Suppl A):A4-21. Review. PubMed PMID: 11002527.
- Carpenter LL, Moreno FA, Kling MA, Anderson GM, Regenold WT, Labiner DM, Price LH. Effect of vagus nerve stimulation on cerebrospinal fluid monoamine metabolites, norepinephrine, and gamma-aminobutyric acid concentrations in depressed patients. Biol Psychiatry. 2004 Sep 15;56(6):418-26. PubMed PMID: 15364040.
- Garriock HA, Delgado P, Kling MA, Carpenter LL, Burke M, Burke WJ, Schwartz T, Marangell LB, Husain M, Erickson RP, Moreno FA. Number of risk genotypes is a risk factor for major depressive disorder: a case control study. Behav Brain Funct. 2006 Jul 5;2:24. PubMed PMID: 16822313; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1526442.
- Moreno FA, McGahuey CA, Freeman MP, Delgado PL. Sex differences in depressive response during monoamine depletions in remitted depressive subjects. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 Oct;67(10):1618-23. PubMed PMID: 17107256.
- Allen JJ, Schnyer RN, Chambers AS, Hitt SK, Moreno FA, Manber R. Acupuncture for depression: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 Nov;67(11):1665-73. PubMed PMID: 17196044.
- Moreno FA, Wiegand CB, Taitano EK, Delgado PL. Safety, tolerability, and efficacy of psilocybin in 9 patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 Nov;67(11):1735-40. PubMed PMID: 17196053.
- Allen JJ, McKnight KM, Moreno FA, Demaree HA, Delgado PL. Alteration of frontal EEG asymmetry during tryptophan depletion predicts future depression. J Affect Disord. 2009 May;115(1-2):189-95. Epub 2008 Sep 18. PubMed PMID: 18801582; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2688527.
- Moreno FA, Parkinson D, Palmer C, Castro WL, Misiaszek J, El Khoury A, Math√© AA, Wright R, Delgado PL. CSF neurochemicals during tryptophan depletion in individuals with remitted depression and healthy controls. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2010 Jan;20(1):18-24. Epub . PubMed PMID: 19896342; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2794896.
- Bismark AW, Moreno FA, Stewart JL, Towers DN, Coan JA, Oas J, Erickson RP, Allen JJ. Polymorphisms of the HTR1a allele are linked to frontal brain electrical asymmetry. Biol Psychol. 2010 Feb;83(2):153-8. Epub 2009 Dec 16. PubMed PMID: 20025927; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2845287.
- Chong J, Reinschmidt KM, Moreno FA. Depression symptoms in a Hispanic primary care population with and without chronic medical illnesses. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;12(3). pii: PCC.09m00846. PubMed PMID: 20944771; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2947540.
- Breitborde NJ, Moreno FA, Mai-Dixon N, Peterson R, Durst L, Bernstein B, Byreddy S, McFarlane WR. Multifamily group psychoeducation and cognitive remediation for first-episode psychosis: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2011 Jan 12;11:9. PubMed PMID: 21226941; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3030530.
- Garriock HA, Moreno FA. Genetics of Depression: Implications for Clinical Practice Yet? (2011) Clinical Neuropsychiatry; 8 (1) 37-46.
- Howe GW, Gedzior AP, Weihs K, Moreno FA, Neiderhiser J. Higher-Order Structure in the Trajectories of Depression and Anxiety Following Sudden Involuntary Unemployment. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. [Epub ahead of print 2011 Nov 21.]
- Chong J, and Moreno FA. Feasibility and acceptability of clinic-based telepsychiatry for low income Hispanic primary care patients. Telemedicine and e-Health. In Press.
ABPN Board Certification (2010)
ECFMG Certification, Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (1992)
Medical License in the state of Arizona (1995)
Medical License in Mexico (1988)